Friday, April 18, 2008

A Tisch Girl

When I was in High School palling around with all the would-be actors, the name Tisch came up quite a lot as a possible destination for theatre education.

I never auditioned for any of the New York Schools, but always thought Tisch sounded pretty important and professional and the ultimate.

I am excited to say that I am now a Tisch girl, sort of. I am part of the Cast Reading THE SNOW QUEEN next week as part of the Graduate Musical Theatre Writing Program at Tisch. I auditioned back in January and sort of forgot about the whole thing until I got a call a few weeks ago to participate. I was reluctant at first, but then decided that this was actually the perfect time for me to do a reading because I am taking time out of auditioning anyway, so I will not have the stress of working around that crazy schedule.

It felt so good to sing yesterday. I haven't sung like that in a long time. I was sitting in a room full of talented singers and actors who have enviable experience and resumes. I was assigned the high soprano, so it was nice to be reminded that, yes I can sing THOSE notes, and read that music. But, as is always the case with the new composers, the music is ever so challenging and forces this delicate balance of thinking really hard and just letting go enough to sing the CORRECT note.

I have been given the day off today because I have a smaller role and I am a mommy, so I will spend a lot of time with the music to get it lodged into the part of my brain that I can still count on, and then for the rest of the day I MUST CLEAN!


8 comments:

Aprilyn said...

Congratulations. I hope it goes well for you!

Anonymous said...

kristy, i think i just saw you on a commercial for visine during the today show. very cool!

MKC said...

I saw the Visine commercial too during the last half hour of The Biggest Loser on Tuesday night.

Sue said...

How fun to get to sing again!! I have been meaning to ask you when that commercial aired because I haven't seen it yet. I will have to check those shows mentioned above. I guess I'm not watching the correct shows, or maybe it's that wonderful dvr feature!! I probably have been fast forwarding through you!!

Kage said...

yeah for the commercial airing!!!

Anonymous said...

You are in our grocery circular this week in Northern Virginia! (in the baby food section) -jen

Jen C. said...

hey kristy! This is Jen Douglas Cummings from Naperville. I finally re-found your blog today. Ya know what's crazy? Ive been reading tales from the crib for quite a while and had no idea you were a contributor! Glad your life is crazy awesome busy! We have twins coming some time in the next 6 days so our lives are about to change!! :) hope things continue to go great for you!

sarahbclark! said...

congratulations! and it's always nice to be stretched and realize that you're up to the challenge, abilities-wise.
---one of your many blog-stalkers,
sarah