Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

On March 7th, I was doing everything I could to get discharged from the hospital so that I could make it home in time to sing Happy Birthday to my 6-year-old. My plans for 2008 had crumpled up into a little pile of ashes and I was in mourning over what 2008 was supposed to be and not looking forward to my new life and situation. Little did I know, that that very same day my third daughter was born. Meet Uli (OOH-lee)~

I have been her mom for about 36 hours now. I have already cried and asked over and over again: What have I done?

I have also felt closer to nature, and I have felt excited about the possibilities of her training and our exercise together. One of my favorite things to do is exercise outside, and I used to love doing it with my Dachshund growing up, but now I have a different German dog who can actually go the distance, and not have to be carried home (Oh Chloe...). She is already stepping up to the plate, preferring my power walk gait to the leisurely stroll. She is also very good at "SIT."

Uli treats Lil Sis like one of her puppy sisters (there were 4 girls and 1 boy in the litter), and Lil Sis is adjusting to puppy. She shows a lot of compassion for her: "She wants her mommy." or tonight when I heard the kennel rattling and found Lil sis and Uli on the floor together: "She was sad, she wanted to get out." Hmmmmm.

Big Sis is all about the training. She loves giving her commands and rewarding her with treats. She also likes to towel off her drooly mouth after she has had a drink and enjoys that all three girls brush teeth together before bed. I, however did not enjoy when I caught Lil Sis brushing her teeth with Uli's toothbrush. Gross.

Last night DH spent the entire night on Uli-Duty. He calmed her down when we put her away around 9, and then took her out at 2:30 and 5:30 when she needed to eliminate. By morning we had moved the girls in with me because Uli kept waking them up with her bark, and he was sleeping in the room with her in Lil Sis' bed. Tonight we tried a different approach. All three girls were put in their beds together, the music was turned on and Uli was the first one fast asleep with not one bark! Score. Just when I thought this might have been a bad decision, she has already made a lot of progress in one day.

As for me. I am not a dog person. BUT, I am a dog whisperer. I do not give any affection or attention unless she sits. I am also being extremely patient. Uli is forcing me to be in the present. I praise when she does her business where she is supposed to and use my calm, assertive, Uh-Uh and removal when she pees where she is NOT supposed to. And I have also come to the conclusion that I will either have to roll up my rug or just plan on buying a new one once the house training has been accomplished.

I seriously never, EVER thought I would be a dog owner, especially in the city. But it's just what IS right now, and I am embracing that most of the time, but DH....I know you're reading, you will need to give me more pep talks along our journey, I am sure of that.

13 comments:

Ashley said...

Oh she is so sweet!!!!! Congratulations on your new "baby"!

wendysue said...

I am so not a dog person either but she is adorable, and I've heard that Weimaraner (I think that's what she is, and how it's spelled) pups are great dogs.

Enjoy!!

TftCarrie said...

She is absolutely adorable. Still can't believe you actually did it, but having a puppy with a face like that should help you get through the hard days a little easier.

kj said...

Whoa Nellie! What a surprise. She is so velvety & cute. Pets add wonderful companionship & memories to our lives. If you do the stairs when she needs to go out, you'll all be in amazing condition. Good Luck!

Alyson P. said...

I have two Weimers and they are so sweet and great with my kids. She is adorable!

marian said...

holy crap. In total shock that you took the plunge, but she is absolutely adorable. Very appropriate that you got a German breed, does your DH speak to her in German? :-)

She's sweet and I know you'll be a great mommy to her, just like you are to your other girls!

Chloe said...

Wow, I'm really really surprised that you did it! This is huge for you and your family. Love the name - it's perfect!

Aprilyn said...

What a beautiful dog. I will never get another one until I can take it to puppy training school!!! I bet the girls love her though. It sounds like Lil' Sis REALLY loves her. :)

Elizabeth S said...

Precious!

Linz said...

Uli is gorgeous.

NTG said...

Congratulations you guys! I am excited for you and the girls. Post some video sometime of the cuties playing with the dog when you get a chance. I can only imaging how cute that would be.

Catherine said...

Welcome to the family Uli!! I remember thinking "what have I done after I brought home my cat 13 years ago and have now added a 5 pound yorkie and 5 pound chiuhua to the house + a 3 year old!!!! It sure is one crazy but happy house!
Enjoy her, she is beautiful!!!
Catherine & Paige
in Orlando!

LJ said...

What an adorable dog she is! She looks very sweet and well behaved too. I bet your girls will adore having a dog as part of the family now! My little boy has just loved the dog we got him for his birthday and now we're all attached. Have fun with her!