Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Gradually Going Green

This past weekend I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

The past few times that I have stayed at a hotel, I have noticed the little SAVE OUR PLANET placard in the bathroom. The one at the HIE reads:

Dear Guests:

Every day millions of gallons of water are used to wash towels that have only been used once.

YOU MAKE THE CHOICE:

~A towel on the rack means "I will use again'

~A towel on the floor means "Please exchange"

PLEASE DECIDE FOR YOURSELF.

Thank you for Helping Us Conserve
The Earth's Vital Resources.

I appreciate this new green movement in many hotels. I make an effort to be sure to hang up my towels on the rack before leaving for the day. However, not once, when I have left my towels on the rack, have they been left that way. When I return, it appears that all the towels have been replaced.

Now, it is POSSIBLE that the housekeeping staff folded my hanging towels and put them neatly on the rack....but they still don't look used or seem used, and they are not damp from use. So, I am pretty certain, despite my following the placard instructions to perfection, that my towels are still being exchanged.

The next time I stay in a hotel, I need to figure out how to prevent this useless replacing from happening. I need to come up with some ideas. Do I leave the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door? Do I write a little note to the staff pointing out my towels? Do I fold them up and make them look untouched? Do I hide them in a drawer somewhere in the room? Do I ask the front desk to specify that my room is a green room and relay that message to housekeeping?

Anyone else TRY for green at hotels like this and notice that the placard itself + your efforts seem to make no change?

4 comments:

knittingirl said...

I've actually had good luck with hotels following their "reuse" attempts. I've even stayed at one that had doortags to keep the same sheets during your stay...

Brandy said...

i noticed the same cards at the all-star movie resort @ walt disney world. :)

D said...

You should print up your own little laminated eviro door tag and keep it in your luggage. You can then hang it in all your hotels when you travel.

That should definitely get their attention. Maybe include the message in English, Spanish and Icelandic to make sure the message is understood wherever you go.

Anonymous said...

I like D's idea of multilanguage instructions for housekeeping. It is possible the housekeeping staff has read the hotels placard because it is in English! Hmmmmmm. Think about it.

DTA