Sunday, August 24, 2008
New York Hearts Beijing
I don't get out much, especially after dark, but Saturday night I went for a walk and noticed the Empire State Building donning the colors of the Olympics.
I headed up to the roof to try to get a shot. Man, it's hard. I had no tripod, no steady hand, no brilliant lighting capabilities. I did the best I could.
I also did the worst I could too:
I didn't see a ton of the Olympics these past two weeks, but my fave highlights:
1. Phelps Medals. I think I saw at least 4 of them, including that ridiculous race that was a photo finish, though I couldn't even see it in the photo.
2. Synchronized Diving. How do they do that?
3. Dressage. Didn't even know what it was. I only lasted about 90 seconds watching it, though the horses were impressive.
4. Synchronized Swimming. Come on now, is that even physically possible? And of course I loved makeup and costumes in sports.
5. Opening Ceremonies. The highlight was the 9-year-old Chinese boy walking with Yao Ming. He saved a group of his classmates after the Earthquake because; "I am the class leader....I had to save them..." (the quote is in my own words)