Thursday, August 07, 2008

Third Person Thursday

He called her a few weeks ago while she was napping.

She finally returned his call.

"Where have you been? I have been trying to get a hold of you?"

"Uh, I was sleeping."

"Well, I really need to talk to you."

"Okay, what's up?"

He went on: "Work wants me to go to London for a year."

WHAT?

He continued: "I don't know all the details, so I am going to try to get more info this afternoon, but we have to talk about this and make some decisions this weekend."

She hung up the phone and called all her friends and her mom. Over the next few days as she chatted with her girlfriends the votes were unanimous:

GO!

She really wanted to. Her only hang-up was Big Sis' school. She had a conversation with the principal and it seemed that things would work out if they needed to.

He did not want to. He had just accepted the Bishop Position after all.

She just kept reeling about the whole thing. She seriously thought all the surprises were over for 2008...but apparently no.

She smiled and stewed and wanted to go so much, wanted it to work. She chose to support him no matter what he felt after a few days of brooding. And she did support him.

So, she's settling into life as she knows it (or does she know it?) She figures staying here is just as adventurous as going across the ocean after all...Cheerio London, it was fun to fantasize about for a little while...

8 comments:

Evelyn Grier Parks said...

Aw, too bad...sounds like it would have been an exhilarating adventure. i'm sure there will be plenty of fun (and entertaining!) adventures in NYC to make up for it!
Great to see a fellow young NYC mom out in the bloggin' world. I've been to London, and it is amazing. Beautiful, hip, modern, historic, diverse--the whole gamet. But when you think about it, we have all of that lovely stuff right here. And man alive, do I love it!
Can't wait to read about your continuing escapades in THIS captivating city that we call home!
Blessings,
Evie

TftCarrie said...

Sorry to hear the fantasy is over. I guess I'll have to think up another plan to visit London in my life!

Melissa said...

Over over? Dead in the water? Not being considered anymore? I can so picture you guys in London. he could be Bishop there...

Anonymous said...

Oh that would of been awesome! And what an experience for your girls! Bummer!

Kage said...

Hi Evie....welcome....

melissa, yes, dead in the water until next time...funny, his employer asked if he could just transfer his Bishop-hood too.....but it doesn't work that way, he made a commitment, and he is sticking to it.

Beth said...

That is a phone call I would LOVE to get from Adam. Gotta go with what is right for your family though.

Chloe said...

Darn it, I had such great vacation plans :)

Honestly, it's probably for the best in the long long run...

Melissa said...

until next time...I like that! my dad got called to be Bishop in Cali a few months before we were scheduled to move. We ended up staying 3 more years in CA and I am SO happy we did. guess you and NYC are meant for each other.