Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 ~ 7 Years Ago.

She arrived back into the city right around midnight. She took note of the half-staff flag on the flagpole she just passed.

She wondered who had passed away in the city while she was away for a few days. She then realized that it had just become Sept. 11th, 2008 just a few moments before she spotted the flag.

September 11th. She wanted to spend some time watching coverage of the events the next morning, but she only got about 5 hours of sleep and her husband left at 5:30 AM, so she had an on-the-go day.

She had only a few moments of quiet to reflect on the 7th anniversary. She read over a few archived posts and looked at a few photos. She took note that her husband was in the air, on a plane on not only the exact day, but also the exact time that the planes were in flight on that day 7 years ago, and then not in flight anymore. She texted him. Please call me when you land.

She remembered the moments in her student apartment that day, and the fear she felt as she clutched her belly. She remembered how the life she had pictured for herself in NYC slowly evaporated as she watched the black smoke against the blue sky. She remembered counting the miles...she was 9 miles away from The Pentagon. She remembered the phrases: 4th plane and Capitol possible target, and she remembered how she had just closed a show days before, that was right there, RIGHT next to the Capitol.


And when the train stalled a few times today, the thought did cross her mind. Bomb. Family. If she doesn't make it to pick up her girls will they know she got blown up on the subway today? And she mourned that that is where her thoughts go now. Ever since that day, 7 years ago.


1 comment:

Evelyn Parks said...

Kristy,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It's so hard thinking back to that day. My husband was on a plane as well, coming home to NYC from an event in LA. As I was watching the towers fall from my apartment window, I couldn't help but wonder if he was in there, and if he'd be coming home to me that night. I was seven months pregnant at the time and had taken the day off because I wasn't feeling good. The elementary school where I worked was twelve blocks away from the WTC.
Thankfully, I got a call at 11:00from my husband, who had just landed (and was being held) at JFK. None of my friends or colleagues were affected that day, but I did lose my cousin, who worked in the WTC.
Thank you for remembering, and letting us all remember with you.
What a blessing it is to be able to remember with my husband and children at my side, when I know not everyone has that luxury.