Friday, September 19, 2008

Thar She Blows

It's taken me 6 years to remember to participate in National Talk Like a Pirate Day.

6 years of seeing that random New Yorker on the subway with a fake parrot on their shoulder and an eye patch, and wondering....what the?

And on one such day there happened to be a post on our family's MY FAMILY SITE from my cousin about National Talk Like a Pirate Day, and it all started to make sense.

This morning I remembered, and I greeted my family in my sleepy piratey-voice. Unfortunately I don't have the best pirate vocabulary so I ended up calling myself Captain Black-Mommy and Big Sis, Scurvey-Kid. I also threatened to have her walk the plank if she didn't pee in the pirate potty.

Now I am on my way to Target for some Frozen Barnacles (pancakes & Lean Cuisine).

Ahoy Matey!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

My sister absolutely loves Talk Like a Pirate Day! :)

Anonymous said...

to improve your piratey lexicon, go to: http://www.yarr.org.uk/talk/

~ meg schutz (los angeles)

Lisa said...

This should be a fun day at your house!

Anonymous said...

random question here-have you ever worn your hair blonde? im curious b/c i normally do the lowlight and highlight color with my hair. i am wanting to go all light to medium brown. in the past when i have gone all dark i tend to look washed out. my complexion is similar to yours. i have green eyes though. just wondering if you have any suggestions on makeup with darker hair or anything?
thanks

Kage said...

meg schutz (in la huh?), thanks for the link.

anon, yes, I have had shades of blond and some temporary reddish before. makeup tips?

I have a lot at tales from the crib: link on the sidebar, search makeup....

but if you feel washed out with your dark hair, I suggest color somewhere on your face. Choose something to focus on: cheeks, lips or eyes and give one of the three (not all 3 at once) a punch of color. For everyday, I would pick the cheeks...used bronzer or a dewey peach or pink on the apples of your cheeks and a medium tinted lip gloss. You can do natural browns and creams on your eyes with mascara for this look.

If you want to focus on your lips then make the eyes more natural and cheeks more subtle.

If you choose eyes, then experiement with colors...brown shadow really brings out my blue eyes, I imagine the right shade of brown for you would have a similar affect...smoke it out a bit if you use only one shade, and smudge the liner...then the cheeks would be more subtle and you can do a natural.nude glossy lip.

Hope that helps.