Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I just realized

I am 6 months away from turning 30.

6 months ago I was freaking out about this.

And now I am welcoming it. Though I don't enjoy the fact that I must stretch before exercising, I have to take Gas-X in order to travel by plane, and I am sore after a day of baby wrangling, I am ok with the grey hairs that pop up on the crown of my head and I like the little droop of my skin on my face. The makeup now settles just so, and though I often miss shaving a few hairs on my legs that are right at the ankle bone part, my age makes me care way less about even having my legs cleanly shaven.

I look at photos of myself from even just a few years ago, and in many ways I don't remember that girl. I am so grateful for the amazing evolution that time brings. What a blessing to have another day to learn, change and grow. So, I'm ok with the 3-0. And I will try my best to enjoy my last little bit of my twenties. Ah, youth.

4 comments:

Evie Parks said...

Good for you!
I have heard from my mom, sis-in-law, friends, and many others that 30 is only the beginning of a wonderful ride. Can't say I'm dreading it much anymore, either!

Elizabeth S said...

From someone who crossed this bridge a little over a year ago, I can say that it's pretty nice. I know what you mean about not remembering "the girl in the photos." I worry less about the little things like a messy house and messy kids and making sure they are doing exactly the right things. I know how fast time goes and it reminds me to make the most of each day God gives me and to love my kids like He wants me to. Good for you that you are embracing it!!

Anonymous said...

A few years ago, when a friend turned 30, I asked her if it felt weird. She replied "No way - I'm loving it. I've EARNED 30."

The statement inspired me. When I turned 30 earlier this year I felt satisfied as I looked back at the things I'd done in my 20's that earned me the right to be 30.

HHRose said...

Ummm....your post just made me realize that I've been telling people that I'm 28--for months. Including filling out the hospital paperwork when I had DS. Whoops. I'll be 30 in 7 months.