Sunday, November 23, 2008

Battle Cry

Maybe it's because DH and I have been watching the Lord of the Rings Trilogy for the past month (1 disc left!), or maybe it's because the world at large seems to be in a bit of trouble these days, but I felt inspired to sing a Battle Song today for our special meeting with one of our church's 12 apostles.

DH was so lucky to attend a training meeting with two of them yesterday for most of the day. He went through all his notes with me last night, and it was really cool to hear about what he experienced. Today L. Tom Perry addressed our Queens members where he was once a branch president in a tiny congregation, similar to what my husband is doing now. I had the opportunity to sing FOR ALL THE SAINTS before he spoke to us.

I didn't feel like it was my best performance ever...I was not memorized because I have been stretched so thin lately with my other singing commitments and my personal struggles and all, and it was a little early for me. As I am getting older, my voice requires much more warm-up time. The girls slept in until 7 today for the first time since EVER...so I was even farther behind then normal. I put my heart into it though, as best I could.

When the meeting was over, of course I slipped Elder Perry my CD, and I do hope he will listen to it and enjoy it, or at least give it away to someone who will. I imagine he gets a lot of stuff from a lot of people. It was so nice to hear his voice and to see his stature. He is actually taller than my very tall DH, even at the age of 86, he is still about 6' 5" tall. He bore a strong witness of Jesus Christ...just the message we needed to hear to catapult us into the season of celebrating His birth. I am grateful that I had a small part in the meeting today.

"Thou, in the darkness drear, our one true light. Alleluia!"
~For all the Saints, lyrics by William Walsham How

4 comments:

kjkards@gmail.com said...

I am certain Elder Perry will listen to and love your CD. That is a choice experience for you.

Lisa said...

I wish I could have been there to hear you and Elder Perry. How nice for your DH to spend so much time with him the day before. That is so helpful to a Bishop.

Annaka said...

I'm sure that you were amazing! Sounds an awesome experience. What a treasure to get your CD, I'm sure the Elder Perry will love it.

HHRose said...

I hear the song you're singin' (so to speak). My voice requires a ridiculous amount of warmup since having a baby (coincidence?). And my break is, uh, breakier than ever. What's up with that? We'll discuss...