Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Epilepsy Fact

From Living Well with Epilepsy by Carl W. Bazil

"Only during the twentieth century did the medical community recognize epilepsy as a neurologic, rather than a psychiatric, disease. Society lagged behind in this recognition, continuing to view persons with epilepsy as violent or inferior. Until 1965, immigration into the United States was restricted for people with epilepsy. Many states restricted marriage under the mistaken belief that the condition would be inherited, and some even enacted involuntary sterilization laws. The last law forbidding marriage of people with epilepsy was not repealed until 1980, and the last eugenic sterilization law was in effect until 1985."

WHAT?

3 comments:

Lisa said...

No way.....

Gedde Adventures said...

Oh my gosh....

DTA said...

I am reading Dr. Bazil's book too, and I am finding myself changing my own ideas about epilepsy. "pure knowledge" really helps in making good decisions and having appropriate attitudes.

Thanks for letting me know about a good source of information on an evolving subject.

All my love,

Dad