Thursday, January 01, 2009

2009: Day 1

I slept in a lot today. I wasn't ready to face it.

And then I rose to the occasion. I realized I had a lot to do if I was going to start a whole year over again. A lot to do.

To begin, I decided to purge my multi-layered, over-crowded bulletin board, and create a 2009 VISION board for myself... (saw this idea on Oprah).

I wasn't sure what would happen. I had been wracking my brain for a goal list the past couple of days, but fear planted it's feet firmly in the way of any emerging resolutions.

I sat down at my table with a large stack of magazines and a pair of scissors. In the end, it all came together. I noticed some patterns in the phrases I cut out, and I grouped pictures and words together that shared a theme. I threw away a lot of the papers on my board, but ended up keeping my favorite quotes as a border around the edges.

Some phrases that made it to the vision board:
Re-think
Who are You Today?
A Leap of Faith

Embrace your Inner Cheapskate
Cash Stashers

Sunny Therapy
Improve your Daily Forecast
Dark-cloud dispensing
Breathing Space
(All these around a photo of my brother and me on the beach)

Less Sugar
(A picture of really good-for-you foods from a kashi ad)
Appetite for life
make dinner faster
fit to eat

(a picture of kids dancing, with musical notes drawn around them)

livestrong bracelet (photo)
find time to exercise
long live the home gym

gratitude

I also cut out a few articles that I want as my 2009 instruction manuel.


I think a theme song is in order for me as well:
Superwoman
By Alicia Keys

Everywhere I'm turning
Nothing seems complete
I stand up and I'm searching
For the better part of me
I hang my head from sorrow
Slave to humanity
I wear it on my shoulders
Gotta find the strength in me

Cause I am a Superwoman
Yes I am
Yes she is
Still when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an S on my chest
Oh yes
I'm a Superwoman

For all the mothers fighting
For better days to come
And all my women, all my women sitting here trying
To come home before the sun
And all my sisters
Coming together
Say yes I will
Yes I can

When I'm breaking down
And I can't be found
And I start to get weak
Cause no one knows
Me underneath these clothes
But I can fly
We can fly, Oooohh

Cause I am a Superwoman
Yes I am
Yes she is
Still when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an S on my chest
Oh yes
I'm a Superwoman

This works for me this year. There is not a checklist, no concrete goals or accomplishments, just a vision. And it feels right, and now I am ready for another day.

1 comment:

Rachel H said...

Cool idea Kage! I like how that sounds!