Monday, January 26, 2009

Dinner

We are commencing week 4 of MOM COOKS 2009! And, it's going well. My planning and budgeting has gone much better during this second half of the month. Still learning though...



I have made this twice since meal planning '09 commenced. This time I used dry oregano, fresh is better.

I had another successful meal the other night for three reasons:

1. It rotated some of my food storage (spaghetti and canned chickpeas)

2. It was fast.

3. My family (all of them) loved it.

It was a recipe I cliipped from a 2004 Real Simple and put in my recipe file....random...it was waiting patiently for 5 years to be made, this is how little I have been involved in feeding my family.

In short, while boiling spaghetti (they suggested brown rice spaghetti, I used a whole grain version) and asparagus separately, scramble four eggs. Set the eggs aside when done and in the same pan heat 2 TBS olive oil, add spaghetti, chickpeas and asparagus and a 1/4 cup of reserve water from spaghetti. Cook a few minutes til water is absorbed, add 1/4 cup parmesan and eggs back in. Salt throughout and they suggest fresh parsley which I also skipped. So yummy and filling.

6 comments:

LMT said...

What is this meal planning '09? Sounds like something I would be interested in. The meal looks delicious, I'll have to try it.

Evie Parks said...

Ah, Mom Cooks '09...something my kids/husband will probably never see. Props to you!!!

Kage said...

LMT, it means that instead of at 4:30 everyday going: oh crap, what's for dinner? and pulling our raw fruits and veggies and random freezer-ness from costco, I plan each day and shop for food and cook it.

What a concept.

Anonymous said...

You might be interested in this one blog that I read called "The Grocer Cart Challenge" here's the link http://grocerycartchallenge.blogspot.com/

The feeds her family of 6 on $60 a week. I love when she has a recipe swap. You get lots of good ideas.

Linz said...

It seems like you don't think of yourself as a cook sometimes, but seriously whenever you do, you are awesome at it.

Kage said...

Linz, I am a great cook. I am a terrible meal planner, grocery shopper and organizer.

I also don't think of myself as a cook when I don't cook...which I pretty much didn't do for the entire year of 2008...meal-prep is different from cooking (taking already made frozen stuff and heating it up, NOT cooking).

I wish I had Rachael Ray's magic refrigerator with all the supplies just IN there....ready to go....that's what I am terrible at.....