Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Gradually Going Thrifty

So, I'm back on The Budget.

I got lax with my budget in 2008 because unlike everyone else, I had a good fiscal year (side note: money does not equal happiness, if you don't believe me, go back and read all the posts starting with March 7th). And now that I have no idea if my year will be good or not, yet, and because there is that threat in the air of job today, no job tomorrow, the checkbook spreadsheet and I have become friends (friends?) again.

My BFF tells me she does not like Budget-Kristy. I am keeping this in mind as I try to negotiate the budget, though I must have complained about it outloud a lot, since my friend insisted on treating me to lunch last week, even though I had budgeted for it.

Though I am still trying very hard to go green, the new focus is to go thrifty.

Thrifty moment of the week: Free Movie Tickets.

As a member of SAG, I get to vote for the SAG awards. Usually this means I get samplings of nominated movies in my mailbox during the month of January. Of course the first (and only) one I received was the EXACT copy of The Dark Knight that my DH had just received for Christmas. I gave it to my doorman.

However, I did get vouchers to screen other nominated films. I took advantage of this perk for our weekend date. We went to screen Benjamin Button free of charge, and since it was at the Director's Guild, there was no popcorn, candy or coke to tempt my money away. Yeah! Saved like 40 bucks...and got to experience an audience that was super silent, watched every single ending credit, and clapped at the conclusion of the film. I considered this movie moment to be very New York.

I have also printed out my voucher to see Doubt, but I feel some flu-like symptoms creeping in, so I don't know that I will make it out to my second movie ticket score.

For those of you who are missing the Green part, I did not waste paper with buying a movie ticket or concessions, and there were a large number of people attending the film. A private screening would have been way less green.

8 comments:

Gedde Adventures said...

... can I ask your opinion of Benjamin Button?? Just curious. I was thinking of taking my husband to see it...

Kage said...

It was good....long and my husband said a bit slow at times, but I never felt that, I was pretty engaged the whole time....the makeup alone though kept me interested.

bspeck said...

I'm excited about your going thrifty posts as I'm trying to do the same! I've just started a love affair with one of the thrift stores in town...

Heather said...

I am going to join you in going thrifty. I think it's a great thing. I will let you know when I have a thrifty moment.

Rachel H said...

Kristy ,
I assume you have an awesome program in place for budgeting..but have you checked out www.youneedabudget.com ?

That program has been so awesome for me to manage our budget/finances!

Evie Parks said...

I loooooved Ben Button!!! I thought it was so good, so timeless. (reminded me of Forrest Gump, honestly). Though it was long, I did feel like every detail made it better.
And you're right, the makeup was way cool!!

margo said...

I loved Five Pounds...hope you get to see it. Let me know what you think.

Kage said...

Margo, I think you are talking about 7 pounds, which is on my list to see.

I did end up seeing Doubt. Stunning performances. Meryl.....Viola..can't take it.