Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Thrifty JUST GOT Thriftier

So, I thought I was feeling the old recession before, but I am feeling it on a new level now.

And I am ok with it.

Cutting back has forced me to focus. I am focusing on why I am cutting back (daughter's education), how to do it (needs only!), and I am counting my blessings (seriously---that's for you Carrie) .

Instead of panicking, I am affirming that today is today. I have heat, shelter, food, health. Tomorrow is tomorrow. Now is now.

I am motivated to get to those auditions. I got lazy last year because I coasted after jobs early in the year. Now I am back, I am paying attention, my kids are being good when I drag them to auditions (I guess it's not that bad when you are showered with attention, highlighters from the desk drawers to color with, everybody knows your name, and you occasionally score some cupcakes!), and I am trying to be good too.

The last two commercial auditions I have had I have been put on hold...so I have a little momentum, that got a bit side-swiped b/c I am wrangling today and forced to miss a callback. Grrrrr.....

I have had to cut my daughter's child care. No more two-days-a-week of mommy time. This I am trying to embrace. My mantra: Someday I will regret that I didn't spend more time with them when they were babies.....

I had a few months break from cleaning my house...no longer. Man, that was nice, and I did appreciate Maria when I had her. And, won't I burn more calories cleaning my house myself?

I inherited a breadmaker. I am not sure if that is going to save me money...it might just add a bunch of comfort and carbs (read cellulite) to my life....mmmmm....warm bread....but my fave bread is 4.19 a loaf, so making my own has got to be cheaper right?

And Counselor K will have to take a back seat as well. Knowing that I cannot process when I need to, is also helping me to focus on more self-care.

So...here we go. I am finally in it. I am considering changing my stage name: Thrifty Glass. People might not get it, they might think I have a speech impediment.


5 comments:

Gedde Adventures said...

You liked the Suze O book? I will totally read that one... I feel like such a dork because I thought that you had taken the book list off the blog, but nope... I just didn't scroll down far enough, oh snap! I hope you had a wonderful snow day with the girls :)

Heather said...

I will be happy to be your new counselor for FREE! You can come over, lie on my couch, share your thoughts, then go for ice cream...bet counselor K doesn't offer that now does she???

Rachel H said...

I thought the music school was a public school? Maybe not then....

Sarah said...

This is just what I needed to read today. We're cutting back too and I'm not happy about it! It is great to read something upbeat about being thrifty!

Yesterday, I had to let our cleaning lady of five years know that we weren't going to use her any more. And that summer vacation to Disney is off the table too. Even though we haven't been hit with a job loss or a big expense, DH and I still think we need to do a better job of preparing for the worst. All of our leaders are saying that this is the worst crisis since the Great Depression and I'm starting to believe it!!!

Kage said...

Gedde A, suze's book was good, I really liked the chapter on revocable living trusts

Rachel H, Lil Sis is going to a diff. school from Big Sis. BS goes to public....LS will go to private for now.

Heather, as if you don't listen to my problems already!

sarah, oh yeah...it's bad....It's ok though...it brings the focus into our family and that's worth it in the end I think...