Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I made it. 4 years.

Oh, the journey we've been on, since that day 4 years ago when I went through nothing I had ever experienced before to birth this whirlwind of a soul:

Here we are on day 1:

Lolly was the best baby. She woke to eat in the night and went right back to sleep without any pomp...just wrap her tight in her receiving blanket and she was out. She was so quiet, vocalized very little, laughed very little. She smiled occasionally, but mostly she was an observer that first year. Behind those eyes she was filing away oh so much information...for later.

Somewhere between year 1 and year 2, the real Lolly emerged. I remember being on the phone with my mom when she was around 18 months, near tears, not knowing how to tame the enchanting beast. My mom and I have had many similarly-themed conversations since then, and what I leave with every time, is that I birthed myself. You'd think I'd be able to figure it out then.....

Between year 2 and 3 we had about a year long fight over pee and poo. My friend Cassandra coined her this way: "Predicatably Unpredictable." Yup.

This past year Lolly has been through it with her mommy. She has oscillated right along with me, poor thing, but in the end, we're still friends, and as Lolly puts it, we're still partners. Thank goodness. I don't know what I would do without her:


Happy Birthday my dear, sweet beautiful girl.

12 comments:

onehm said...

What a tribute! She's a doll!
Happy Birthday Lolly!

jlk said...

Here's to another crazy year!

Evie Parks said...

I love this...it reminds me of my relationship with my spirited 2 year old.
Such a sweet post! She looks so grown up in the last pic!
Happy birthday to Lolly!!

Lisa said...

Yes, it's true...Lolly behaves a lot like you did. But after all our conversations, I think we agree that the best thing is not to break her spirit. I tried not to break yours and as a result, your spirit is one of your strongest character traits. Love you both. Your personalities make life so fun.

beth said...

I CANNOT believe she is four!! WHAT??!!! Happy Birthday to the big girl. She is so cute and I loved her on the Today Show. You have a gorgeous family.

Junkyard Dog said...

Have to totally agree with Lisa. As a distant observer, it seems that personalities are very similar. Two free spirits. Love them both.

kristie sessions said...

what a ride! Happy Birthday Lolly!

Chloe said...

Yes, she is you. Just try to remember all of the wonderful, positive things about YOU and look forward to what will emerge out of her. Hold on tight; it's going to be quite a ride :)

Linz said...

Love that girl. I think that she looks just like you in picture #3.

Rachel H said...

It's kinda weird to me to have followed you and your fam on this blog-o-sphere since 2006!! I feel like she should be about 2, like when I first saw her pics! Time is flying too fast...our little ones are less little every day!

happy birthday to the little cutie. =)

Tandy said...

Happy Birthday, Lolly! I have a spirited child myself. I like the advice to not break that spirit. It's a difficult balance! She's beautiful, and I loved the Today Show clip!

McKay said...

Happy Birthday Lolly! I'm glad that I know you, you always bring me a smile when we're together.

Kage, your comments remind me of something I always say about my little guy - He has qualities that will be great in a 25 year old, but in a 5 year old, they are awfully frustrating. :-)