Friday, June 26, 2009

It Takes a City

My friends started a business by that name a few years ago. I still love it.

This past week I had a last-minute callback. I had to do a mini photoshoot, so it took a little longer than a regular casting. I make it my policy not to bring Lolly to callbacks, but it was last minute, so I had no choice.

The man who runs the casting studio graciously watched her. He made her a book out of his pile of scrap paper: 3 staples or 4?

Lolly chose 4.

He then guided her through her illustrations. By the time I was done she had 4 very detailed pictures of her pet and her family and herself, all done with black sharpie. She had a big black spot on the front of her white shirt too.

I was so grateful to him for helping me get through the audition and so proud of the progress she has made as a little artist. And she will still wear that shirt this summer because it's one of her favorites, especially now that she has personalized it.

It takes a City.

5 comments:

Beth said...

I love this post and I love stories like these. What a nice guy!

Chloe said...

Ahhhhh...ITAC. Those were the days...Fun memories...

hdknowles said...

Glad to see you are not freaking out about that black spot on Lolly's shirt. Nice post, and oh, you made my day today. Keep the laughter coming.

Cindy said...

I hope you remember me from College Park Choir. My day was also made after Helen called me. It is good to hear about a parent who doesn't freak out when their child's clothing is damaged by someone who is well meaning letting them use art supplies. By the way, I think that Kage is awesome.

A-me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.