Saturday, June 13, 2009

Robot Head

I don't remember my first ambulatory eeg that much. Maybe because I was only 5 weeks out from HB08.

Yesterday it came flooding back. Scratch-scratch-scratch, push an electrode down in that spot that was just made raw, then coat it with the MOST noxious fumed glue EVER. After that, there is a loud machine that blows air on it to dry it in place. This is repeated several times all over my scalp.

The first time I took the car home and hybernated for 24 hours. This time, I was prepared with a little scarf and I boarded the bus. I was out in public for the first 7 hours of the EEG. I was around a bunch of little kids, none of which asked me about the wires coming out of my head. A few adults asked me about it. I got a lot of: "I'm so sorry." I guess that's just the natural thing to say when someone has a gauzy head?

My favorite two moments of this time:

1. I passed my stylist friend on the street, she was walking with her 4th-grade son. She told me later that he said: "She always wears the coolest stuff." Well, I guess a robot-head would be cool to a fourth-grader.

2. I was waiting for a friend outside a drugstore on Broadway and this woman turned around and looked at me 5 times as she walked away from me. I stared right back at her, because I thought it was so funny that she had to keep looking back. Her expression was always of confusion.

Anyway, I did have a headache for the first few hours, but then I adjusted, and my Pinkberry smoothie helped ease the pain. I was also fairly distracted by Phoebe's talent show last night. It was fun to watch her.


When Phoebe saw me she rubbed my face, asked if it hurt, and told me she loved me. She also informed me that she told all her friends not to pull my chords. And she drew my portrait:

12 comments:

Ann said...

kage, i've been thinking about you a lot and about how you've dealt with this health trauma with such grace and strength. you've been amazing me for 18+ years and you haven't stopped amazing me yet. and only you can pull off the robot head look! love the portrait by phoebe. good luck with everything. love you.

Linz said...

love the 4th graders' comment and Phoebe's reactions.

Laura said...

Thinking of you!

Chloe said...

Oh....my dear girl...

You need to frame that portrait..

wendysue said...

Such a trend-setter you are. . I wouldn't be surprised if you see people walking the streets of NYC with a scarf and a bunch of rainbow colored wires soon. . .

Ty and Whit said...

You sound so positive. You're such a rock

kj said...

You are so tough, strong is a better word to describe your confidence to pull that off in public. The public and kids say so much without words. You're still getting loads of prayers and love.

kristie sessions said...

yes, I think that kid was right. you do wear cool stuff and you look pretty cool in this one too. I am glad people were warned not to pull the chords cause that would have worried me too. I hate to say it, but it looks like you are getting the hang of all this crazy head stuff. Only you could handle it with such grace. miss you. And love the portrait Phoebs!

hdknowles said...

Where did you get the scarf? If you could find another one and send it to me, I'll pay for it. I think it's perfect for a friend who is starting chemo. You look marvelous.

LMT said...

I remember seeing you "all done up". I don't really understand what they're for though. I am just glad they do something to help. Phoebe has been so darling and supportive. She is such a sweet little girl. Zack and I loved her drawing too. I love that she told all her friends too, you know they were thinking you were the coolest mom ever. Let me know when I can help, as always.

Catherine said...

kristy, I am a long time reader of your blog, my 4 year old daughter & I enjoy reading your adventures (I grew up in Queens), I just wanted to say I am sorry that you have to go through your seizures again, stay strong....
This year, I am having back problems, just had surgery last week and still am in pain, I had my "moment" at the neurosurgeon's office yesterday of crying like a fool....it's hard to not be 100% for ourselves & our families, I just keep telling myself, "better me being sick than my daughter".......and it helps a little......feel better soon!
catherine & paige in orlando

Kage said...

Catherine, so sorry to hear about your back troubles. Doctors can really bring out the crazy/sensitive side huh? Stay strong. when's baby coming?