Monday, July 06, 2009

1984

Back in 1984, I got a Kindergarten Parent Conference Evaluation Sheet.

I found this document this past weekend while we were painting and cleaning out my office. Check marks mean the child is having normal progress. Comments indicate specific weaknesses and strengths.

All my teacher's comments were about my weaknesses.

I did not receive a check for WORKS AND PLAYS WELL WITH OTHERS, but instead this comment:

no-calls names

I did not receive a check for Is courteous, respectful and cooperative, but instead this comment:

poor bus conduct.

And at the bottom:

Not remember school rules.

First of all, I still struggle with playing well with others and being cooperative. Whoops. And second, what's with a kindergarten teacher writing in fragmented sentences?

5 comments:

Rachel H said...

That's really funny. I found my son's preschoool teachers last year writing notes home to me with misspellings. Hmmmm.

Melissa said...

No-calls names? Really?

This all makes me a little nervous.

I mean, this make me no happy.

Kage said...

Melissa, I think she meant, No, she calls people names.

HHRose said...

No joke, my mom used to correct letters sent home from teachers with her red pen and make me bring them BACK. Therapy, here I come.

hdknowles said...

Several years ago, one of the professors in Education at University of Maryland posted an assignment his 2nd grade daughter had been given by her teacher. The child was asked to write a story - the emphasis was getting the ideas down, not on correct spelling or grammar. When the child came home from school after the assignment was handed back to her, the entire page was full of red marks and circles. The following day, the professor posted the assignment on the bulletin board in the education building at UMD with the comment "this is an example of how not to be a 2nd grade teacher". The teacher was the talk of the school for weeks. Incidentally, she is the same teacher who asked her children to write a letter to Santa, and after the exercise was over, told them to take the letter and give it to their parents, "who were the real Santas". By some strange miracle, the teacher wasn't at the school the following September.