Sunday, July 12, 2009

Anniversary

1 year ago tomorrow by date and today by day of the week, my husband was made the Bishop of our ward.

I made him a little album documenting some of the meaningful events in his life as Bishop this past year. He has found camaraderie with another Bishop in our stake, so I snapped a photo of them together, unbeknown to them. I included pix from our talent show and the Courts of Honor that include our boy scouts.

My husband really enjoyed when a few of our General Authorities came to train the Bishops of the NYC Metropolitan area. L. Tom Perry and Jeffery R. Holland, who gave the most powerful talk I have ever seen in a general conference this past spring, came and it was a very important weekend for Jason. I borrowed a picture of Elder Perry from a blog of a Missionary Couple who were also there.

Then there was that Sunday when the Hughes Brother's bus was in our parking lot, and Jason requested an impromptu hymn from the present Hughes Brothers....no the entire clan was not there, but that would have been rad.

Most people, when referring to me, as the Bishop's wife, project one of two things: that I must be completely overwhelmed and overwrought by my husband serving as the Bishop, or that I know everything that is going on. These assumptions couldn't be farther from the truth.

My husband has been teasing me all year. I will come home from church or visiting another sister in our ward and say: Oh, so-and-so is pregnant, or did you know she is engaged? or whatever good or bad news I have to share, and he just smiles and says: "You're always like...2 weeks behind." I think it's funny and sometimes, depending on my mood, I think it's annoying.

The other annoying thing is when he wants to play hypothetical: "I want to talk to you about something but you can't ask me any questions...." After the first round of that game, I decline to play anymore.

The calling is a solitary one. I didn't expect it to be different. I am glad it is that way. I have enough burdens to shoulder, I don't need anymore. The way I participate in the calling is to make sure that the house is in order on Tuesday nights when he has his appointments at the church, and I try to attend our monthly Temple trip with him, or at least make it possible for him to attend. I also participate by not complaining. And it isn't hard, I can't think of any time when I have had to bite my tongue. His service is a blessing to our family and to him.

The past year has been full of scripture study, prayer, exercise, eating healthy, improved work/church/family life balance, service, goals, and increased love. We have had our ups and downs, but mostly due to my chemical imbalances, nothing to do with his service as Bishop.

So, it is with open arms that we welcome Year 2.

9 comments:

hdknowles said...

Wow, hard to believe a year has gone by so quickly. You still amaze me with all you do, that the family is still the most important thing in your life, event with a Bishop's calling. Hope you'll receive many blessings during this second year.

Lisa said...

Dad and I were commenting last night that this is your DH's one year anniversary as Bishop. What a wonderful opportunity this has been for him and for your ward. He is doing so many good things. Your musings as a Bishop's wife are so similar to mine. I took care of the house and family and let Dad take care of the ward.

Corinne said...

So, I appreciate this post. I appreciate you attitude towards his service and how you support him. Time flies.

Jen said...

I really admire how you guys have handled the calling. I just don't know if I could do it....I depend on my DH so much...I'm not sure I am ready to give so much of him away to something else....at least at this point. I know that sounds horribly selfish....

Anyways, kudos!

delilas said...

I have been amazed at how well you both have balanced this calling. Being behind the times is always a good thing for the Bishops wife. Keep up the good work. :)

Heather said...

Wow! One year went by fast. I am also very appreciative of your DH and our DB. :)

kristie sessions said...

I cannot believe it has been one whole year. amazing. i guess that is why they are in for at least 5! What a beautiful experience for you all. The Lord has truly blessed you and also those that are blessed to have you in their lives. What a great bish!

LMT said...

I love this report and anniversary tribute. I am sure he is wonderful as bishop and I mean it. I would have loved to work with him when I was serving. Woot woot to the Bishop. Here's to year 2!

Maribeth said...

I remember that! That was our very first Sunday in the ward. Can't believe it has been a year! Time flies by even if you live it slowly.