Thursday, July 16, 2009

Paint

We painted last weekend.

This paint was a white chalky nasty paint that we SHOULD have painted the day we closed, but instead we waited two years and took everything apart and it was a big pain and yadda yadda...so from white to REJUVENATE:

Oh, and the desk, we put it in a notch too high, and it's annoying, and we still haven't fixed it yet. Maybe in 2 years.

And I decided to paint this hand-me-down bookshelf CERULEAN:

I'll be honest, despite my primer and two coats of high-glass cerulean, I am nervous this paint is going to chip pretty bad. So far I have made a rule: No taking anything off the shelves, no putting anything back on the shelves. And this is completely impractical as this bookshelf gets a lot of traffic. On the "to budget" list is perhaps a new bookshelf.

And on the "to do/to budget" list is about 3 tiny frames to put in between the pink frame there and the GOD BLESS OUR PAD embroidery.

Oh, and a new leather sectional to replace those blueish couches, and a new rug and mounting the tv, which might totally change this nook anyway.....oh the "to budget" list!

8 comments:

kristie sessions said...

oooh. i like the bookshelf! did you try a top gloss coat to help with the anti chipping? i don't know if they actually have something like that, but I figure if they have it for fingernails, they should have it for bookshelves.

Emily said...

I've never commented after I found you through a lot of blog clicking one day, but I have a thought for the bookcase chipping issue - just pre-load a paint brush with the color, wrap it up in tin foil and ziploc it and stick it in the back of your freezer. When something chips, you just pull out the preloaded brush and touch up. Works like a charm and so easy you won't even worry if it chips! Love the colors you chose, btw!

heather said...

Kristy - garage sales and ebay, baby! CHEAP and great stuff....Also the thrift shops out in the hamptons (esp east hampton) are crazy. My best friend bought half her furniture in her home for about 100 dollars total - talking couches, beds, dressers, really nice, nice stuff. Might be worth a trip out there to enjoy the beach and do a little shopping! rich + lazy people = good scores!

LMT said...

So, I guess I had a sneak peek. hehe. I really like the changes made. I am impressed. Also, the girls enjoyed their movie marathon while you painted. :-)

Amee said...

We have an armoire from a yard sale we painted blue, it does chip off but I think it looks flea markety and like it. It especially goes with the blue!

Janet said...

Lots of color. I like it.

The Hyer Family said...

We met once when you were visiting Carrie L. in Pasadena...clear polyurethene over the top...very easy...buy at Home Depot and brush it on...it's a clear top coat that will prevent chipping and things sticking to the paint...I used it on a dresser that I got at a garage sale and repainted...works great.

Kage said...

Emily, great idea, but I already got rid of the paint---those closest to me will not be surprised by this.

Kristie Sess/Hyer Fam...I actually think I have a little bottle of that from when I stained my tv stand. But now that it's all back together, I don't know if I can do it.

I already fixed one of the little chips with clear nailpolish...worked SO well...

heather, when that 2nd home comes around, you're my go-to girl for furnishings!