Monday, August 17, 2009

Sleep

After my concussion, almost 18 months ago, I slept for about 3 days straight.

Sometimes I was awakened by the Fillipino Grandma trying to communicate, but without the words she needed, other times by my extremely chatty roommate who was also an actor, and needed what sounded like a bizarre procedure: blood shot into her spinal chord?, I wasn't annoyed by either of them, just went on sleeping.

And then for a year or so, no amount of sleep was enough. My head would hit the pillow and I was out, and when the alarm went off, I was amazed it had been 8 hours. My eyes felt so heavy, they could barely open. Sometimes even it felt like my body was asleep but my mind was awake and aware. At church, after sitting for a few minutes or a few hours, I had to retreat to the lobby and sleep on the couch. Several times I fell asleep while eating dinner. Half the time, I didn't have it in me to make it to the gym in the morning (well, that hasn't really changed, I average about 3 mornings a week.)

My husband would wake up with tales about what the girls had been up to in the middle of the night, namely Lolly, going to the bathroom, getting water, whatever the shenanigans were, I was completely unaware.

Then a few months ago, I started hearing when one of the girls got up in the night. I even heard before Jason did. And sometimes I wake up at 2 or 3 or 4 for no reason at all. Sometimes I wake up just a few minutes before the alarm is going to go off. Sometimes, I can't fall asleep at night!

And this is annoying and also a step. I feel that I am healing a bit more. I actually have nights when I am startled by noise, or I'm too hot, or I have to pee.

But last night. At around 2:30 I heard little feet and hands and little stirrings of little girls. I tried to go back to sleep but there were more noises and more stirrings. Finally I was completely awake and I needed to investigate, mostly because Miss Phoebe turns her air conditioner down to 60 and on HIGH, often....

I turned the corner and the light was on. My little ones were having a 2 AM water party. "We were just drinking some water!" I checked the air conditioner, still at 75. I scolded (I'm getting very good at that lately), and then went off to bed. A few minute later I heard the air conditioner buttons and caught Phoebe red-handed (I learned that phrase in The Great Muppet Caper). More scolding, and then just laying in my bed for an hour thinking about how I am so glad I am awake right now and so mad too.


2 comments:

MKC said...

Waking up in the middle of night, completely awake as if I'd slept 8 hours sometimes happens to me as well. I've heard people say that this is the most creative time of day for people and when you wake up you should get up and write, paint, etc. I've never actually tried that (I'm too interested in trying to get as much sleep as possible) but I thought I'd pass it along.

Kage said...

I do get ideas between sleep and awake, and I almost did get up and do some writing last night.....but then Dr. Glass says: Sleep Hygiene Missy!