Friday, September 25, 2009

Book Review: The Attachment Connection

Mommy College!

Book 1: The Attachment Connection
By. Ruth P. Newton, PHD.

I'll be honest, I did not read every word of this book.

The reason? The bulk of the book discusses specific attachment/bonding techniques for newborns to toddlers, almost by month. I would have loved this book as a companion to WHAT TO EXPECT THE FIRST YEAR and Girlfriend's Guide to Surviving the First Year. However, one of my strengths as a mom is being intuitive to an infant. I was hoping this book would help me with CHILD-TEENAGER-ADULT intuition...you know, the REST of parenting, beyond those first few years.

However, I have come across some mommies who feel they cannot wait for the KID stage and are totally freaked out by Newbornness. To you, I say: hand me your baby! I will return them in about 20 months....

or, read this book.

I think it gives great ideas on how to become more intuitive to the way baby's communicate, especially through their body language (which is the only language they have no?), and provides a calm, happy place for mom, gives her tools to know just how to access that baby language that perhaps a mom has never heard spoken before.

1 comment:

Corinne said...

That book I just finished reading was ALL about attachment but for older kids. Seriously, you should try it. I just reviewed it - or you can look at my blog to see what I took away from it :)