Monday, September 07, 2009

School Year's Eve


A few weeks ago, as I found myself bemoaning the many days I had left of summer, after Phoebe was on the Early Show, I found inspiration to get me through .

Cookie's Chassie Post mentioned "School Year's Eve" during the segment, and I thought: Aha! That's what I'll do....throw a School Year's Eve party for my little Schoolies.

I had always admired Nie's post about their back-to-school festivities, and so a few things clicked into place. When I was not having the best time being mother this summer, I would direct my thoughts to how to make a special School Year's Eve Celebration.

I knew I couldn't cook a meal like Nie, but I thought I could choose a meaningful theme and come up with crowns. The theme came to me almost immediately: "We're all in this together!" I assigned Jason to find a scripture to go along with that theme, and he found a great one about being ONE (v. 27).

Etsy is a constant source of inspiration, and surprisingly, I only found one listing for crowns that I loved, and since her shop is located out of my hometown, I knew it was the choice for me.



The School Year's Eve website gave me the playlist idea:

Some of our favorites:
We're All in this Together (High School Musical)
Graduation (Vitamin C)
This is Not a Test (She & Him)
Outro: Learning (India Arie)
Dancing Through Life (Wicked)
Autumn in New York (Frank Sinatra)
Breaking Free (High School Musical)
Lessons Learned (Carrie Underwood)
Happy Working Song (Enchanted)
Do-Re-Mi
The Sound of Music (Sound of Music)
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
Better Get to Livin
Jesus & Gravity (Dolly Parton)
I am a Child of God (Gladys Knight)

Cookie Mag also helped us with our School Year's Eve banner, but I added some embellishment to the back.



Among our Party Festivities:
Curling Hair
Party Outfits
Crowns
Painting Fingers and Toes

Playing Little Einstein Game
Setting Family and Individual Goals
Discussing the Theme: We're all in this together!
Father's Blessings
Fashion Show of School outfits

Dinner, Cupcakes for dessert
Finally finishing the book we have been reading almost every night the entire summer.

Poor Lolly came down with a pretty high fever a few hours before our festivities began, but a dose of motrin got her through it, and I think she had a great time.

Honestly, I can't believe I have a 2nd grader. I am about to have 16 hours sans children each week. Ok, I have had that before, but in larger blocks and sometimes with 1 out of 2 of my kiddos. 16 hours. Not to be wasted. Exciting right?

14 comments:

Janet said...

What a fun thing to do before school begins.

I'm sure you will find plenty to fill your time and even miss those two girls.

samyoD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linz said...

HOW FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wendysue said...

Such a great idea! I think we're definitely doing something like this next year (and maybe eating on sectioned plates like in the school cafeteria!)

jlk said...

Sounds like a great party. Hope tomorrow goes smoothly!

Natasha said...

K- This is such a great idea! I'm glad you had such a fun time. I remember getting Father's blessings before school every year and how much that meant to me! HURRAY for 16 free hours every week!

LMT said...

You are such a fun mom! So cute, all of it.

Petit Elefant said...

So, you've seen the crowns the Nie's makes before school right? Too cute. I love the idea of celebration right before a new year. Makes it seem like a clean, fresh start.

Lisa said...

Oh, I love this! Hope Lolly is better!

MKC said...

This sounds like so much fun! I'll have to remember it for next year.

Ty and Whit said...

you're the best mom ever. What a fun idea. I'm sure the girls loved it! I'm very excited for you to have some Kage time (some)

Kage said...

Ty and Whit, WHEN WILL IT EVER BEGIN? Tomorrow Lolly's first day of school is probably being traded in for a doctor's appointment. ARGH.

Beth said...

I love this!

heather said...

you are so fun! love this idea! Fi also had bad fever this weekend. keeping fingers crossed she can make first day of school tomorrow! btw - turtle pond is one of my favorite places. Also, the RAMBLE walk in central park is great, you forget you are in NYC. The bird watching is spectacular (really)