Saturday, October 17, 2009

Where they are...

The posse went to Where the Wild Things Are

at the IMAX theatre today with a few friends. I found the previews for the film to be enticing and beautiful, and so I expected a little of that. I also expected a grand film because of the high marks reviewers have been giving it. I was not dissappointed.

I did not expect it to be as raw and powerful as it is. I did not expect my 7-year-old to laugh out loud, lean over and whisper: "Mom, are you getting a little teary?", AND clutch me in fear, all in one movie. Lolly found herself curled up on my lap trying to be as small as she could be. Though the greater scope of the film was over their heads, there were so many parts that they just GOT.

They certainly embraced their inner wild, picking someone else's nose, and feeling like their eyeballs are a bit loose. I was reminded that we never really grow up. We are who we are. We feel what we feel.



6 comments:

kj said...

I must see the movie. Here's to the Wild Crazy Ones!
Very scary collage, too cute for words.

Beth said...

Love those pictures of you guys.

E-Dawg said...

I saw the movie last night and was, honestly, disappointed. I thought the beginning was great and reminded me of how fun it was to be a kid but at the same time how painful it was. But 5 minutes into him arriving on the island I was falling asleep. Beautifully shot and the Wild Things were incredible, but the story dragged. There is no way my 3 year old, who loves the book, could make it through this.

Kage said...

E-Dawg, a few other adults found it to be boring. I was pretty engaged the whole time, kinda wishing I hadn't brought the kids, they were distracting. Its a scary movie, very scary.

Anonymous said...

anytime i see a pic of you w/cute glasses i wonder where you got them. so i guess i should just ask huh? are those real rx glasses? they are so funky & adorable! i need some new ones & i might need some new funk in my laugh as well! thanks
christy

Kage said...

Christy, I have had these frames for 7 years. They were 40 bucks at the store that is connected to the link on the sidebar of my homepage that says Where to get cool frames like mine. Yes, they are prescription AND transition! I'm a total nerd. I'm going back to get a new pair of vintage lenses for a Christmas present to myself... I'm thinking white/pearlescent with rhinestones, but will see what they have. I think it's the only way to go...