Saturday, October 31, 2009

Winner


I decided to make chili so that I could support our Halloween Party, bring some food. I have never made chili before (to my recollection), and I'm certainly no expert on chili.

I waffled between chocolate chili and pumpkin chili for weeks. My facebookers voted on chocolate, but I had the last say. I found a recipe, read the reviews, and tweaked it to my liking.

And guess what?

I won.

So, here's the recipe, I'm no secret recipe keeper, not me.

Brown 1 lb. ground beef.
Drain.
Add 1 green pepper and 1 onion, chopped....saute for 5 minutes.
Add:
1 small can of pumpkin
2 cans diced tomatoes
2 cans black beans
1 can white kidney beans
1 can red kidney beans
(all of the above standard size 14-19 oz)
1 can 46 oz. of tomato juice (I did not add the whole thing, added to desired consistency)

2 TBSP pumpkin pie spice
1 TBSP chili powder
2 TBSP white sugar
2 TBSP brown sugar
1 tsp garlic salt

Simmer 1 hour.

I just stuck it in my crockpot to warm it up after keeping it in the fridge all day.

And, did I mention, I won?

3 comments:

kj said...

Congratulations Cruella! How exactly did it taste? Like Chili or like Pumpkin? From the taste could you tell it had pumpkin? I love pumpkin recipes.

Kage said...

It tastes like Autumn. Smells like it too...

merathon said...

ooooooh-- i'm gonna make this, sans the beef, since we're veggies, you know. sounds fab-- love me some new pumpkin recipes!