Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Mommy College: Parenting from the Inside Out by Daniel Siegel

It has taken me a while to read this book because I could not get it from the library, and so had to read 15 minutes here and there at Lolly's school.

This is a book about how to the best parent you can be. It does not give you information on how to change your children, but how to change yourself. Even people without children could use this book so that they could better handle any relationships: spousal, workplace, friendships, etc.

I could have REALLY used this book back in the ragey times, when I was starting new meds that were making me extra crazy. One of my favorite concepts covered in the book is choosing between taking the low road and the high road when in a situation with your children.

I found myself on the low road a lot back in the dark days, only I called it: The moving sidewalk at the airport.

It's like I stepped on and I could not get off until it had run it's course. That would mean yelling, and then yelling some more and repeating myself and ranting and raving until it was done. And I was not a fan of this behavior in myself. And maybe what the kids did was a trigger for it, but they are certainly not to blame, only me.

In brief, if you find yourself having some temper issues, depression, anxiety or you can clearly connect your own bad parenting with experiences from your childhood and would like help exploring that, this book is for you!

1 comment:

A-me said...

Thanks for the info! Just ordered it on the kindle.. can't wait to check it out. Really liking what I've read so far.