Saturday, January 02, 2010

New Year, New Digs.

During the past month I have been distracting myself by being the forman for the re-doing of our Great Room (as I prefer to call it). Going back in the archives of the blog (because most of my pics are stored away on hard drives that are not the easiest to access), I found several incarnations of our Great Room, to give you a sense of the BEFORE:

To see the progression since moving in, here are a few posts in chronological order, earliest to most recent:

Earliest

Earlier

Early

Recent

What you can't see in the before picture is the other wall in which there is a media hutch with a tv on top of it, on a stand. We wanted to switch the tv to the other wall quite a while ago, but in order to make it clean, wireless and mounted... required a crew. We finally acquired the crew to cut holes in the walls at various spots to feed the necessary wires through to get it to the other side.

This took all day a few Saturdays ago. I took the kids to the Princess and the Frog and forgot about it. We replaced the hutch which jutted out from the 12-inch nook, about 10 inches. This bookshelf console is only 15 inches and looks cleaner and more airy. I love it.

The corner bookshelf came in wooden laminate. I decoupaged it with old black and white photos and paper, including the 60th-anniversary article of Jason's grandparents, my SAG letter welcoming me to the union, old contact sheets from a variety of photoshoots etc. The book clusters are color-coded in green, blue, white and black. You will notice an orange book cluster on the unit under the tv as well. I have not tackled the contents of the bright blue bookshelf, it needs a makeover too.

The ASTORIA print is by a graphic designer friend of mine. I saw it for the first time, fell in love, and bought it off his wall, framed and all. It is where we first lived when we moved to NYC, so it means a lot to me.

Other new additions: the giant leather sectional and the rug. I wanted the bigger-sized rug, but it was not available, but I'm ok with it, I love it. Much less SHED-y than the last big giant cream fuzzy rug...so that's what we've been working on. And we are so very happy, still in love with our condo after going on 3 years now...
PS. I want to knit a TV cozy to cover the TV, but J is trying to draw the line somewhere...

In the bedroom our linens had become thread-bare after only a few short years, but we love them, so we replaced it with the exact same brand, just a different design. Lolly is happy she inherited the old one for warmth, FINALLY she's allowed to be near mommy's bedspread. I cannot recommend it for durability, but they are soft, plush and really POP in the room. And I feel like BLUE DOG on the wall feels at home now.

That's all for rehabilitation for now. We would like to get covers for our air-conditioning/heater units, and do another round of: WHAT can GO?...which we do every 6 months....but other than that, we feel pretty great about our place right now!


9 comments:

Jen said...

I love how open and spacious it feels....even more than the pictures show. And I love your new additions....esp the Astoria print.

Natasha said...

I LOVE that you got the Astoria print from Cardon! I loved it when I saw it too!

Your new space looks so spacious!

evie parks said...

I LOVE it, Kristy!! Great job. the rug is awesome!

Kage said...

Jen, good to know, since you experienced it firsthand, and evie, your stamp if approval means a lot!

Beth said...

Of course I love the Astoria print too. It all looks wonderful. I would love something like that on my wall. Especially since that's where mine and Adam's first apt. was as well. Very cool. You always have the best taste.

Linz said...

So fun and colorful! I really like the new rug on the floor and all of the other fun colors that pop out.

Lisa said...

The rug is so cool. I can't wait to see this in person. It is fab!

Janet said...

Love the rug and comfy sectional. Good choice.

HHRose said...

That space is "so Kristy." (I hope J likes it, too. ;o) ) The Munchkin got the "Why is Blue Dog Blue?" book for Christmas. We love it.